Ranchers, farmers in Sierra Nevada in line for $5.2 million in grants
March 5, 2013 — The Sierra Nevada Conservancy (SNC) Governing Board will meet Thursday, March 7 to consider approval of $5.2 million in Proposition 84 grant awards to assist 29 Sierra ranchers and farmers in 18 counties with conservation measures designed to protect California’s most important watersheds. There are five Lassen County listings:
• Upper Pete’s Creek Habitat Restoration Project, $198,225 (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Nevada Fish and Wildlife Office; Ted Koch, call (775) 861-6311 or email email@example.com)
• Ash Valley Ranch Native Grassland Restoration, $350,000 (Lassen County Fire Safe Council, Inc; Thomas Esgate, call 310-0146 or email firstname.lastname@example.org),
• Butte Creek Meadow Restoration Project, $294,817 (Pit Resource Conservation District; Sharmie Stevenson, call 399-3405 or email email@example.com)
• Rush creek Improvement Project, $207,164 (Bureau of Land Management, Eagle Lake field office; Valda Lockie, call 252-5325 or email firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Pyle Ranch Conservation Easement, $35,000 (Lassen Land and Trails Trust; Louise Jensen, call 257-3252 or email@example.com)
The SNC will issue a news release from the board meeting Thursday afternoon with the final decision by the board.
Projects will result in reduced erosion, meadow and stream restoration, conservation easements, infrastructure development, invasive species removal and pre-project environmental work.
Eligible applicants include public agencies, qualifying nonprofit organizations whose charitable purposes are consistent with the purposes of the SNC and eligible tribal organizations. Where applicants on private land use the funds, Prop. 84 regulations require there must be a demonstrated benefit to the public.
Susanville native to play in college bowl with Boise State
Darren Lee, a Lassen High School graduate and former Lassen High football player, now plays football for Boise State and will be going with the team to a college bowl game in late December. Photo by Boise State Media Relations Dec. 6 — A Susanville native is making strides in his football career...Read More...
Lady Grizzlies celebrate a championship season
Miranda Langenhorst, back left, Mikailia Bustamante, Melica Woodhead, Dana Lovelace, Makenna Busse, Klari Scheff, bottom left, Hailey Hannah, Stevie Woodbury, Myeisha Shepard, Emilee Downing, Gabi Geoia and Jayde Hartzell pose together with the awards they were presented with at the Lassen High School...Read More...
Grizzlies soccer team plays tough, rain or shine
The Lassen High School boy’s soccer team is ready to give its opponents tough competition this year. The team is made up of Andy Wotjen, back left, Jon Langston, Cyrus White, Michael Pelfrey, Josh Schmidt, Jason Lilly, Jake Morgan, Jayce Gray, Carson Friedline, Garrison Collier, Jesus Garibo, Robert...Read More...