Ranchers, farmers in Sierra Nevada in line for $5.2 million in grants
March 5, 2013 — The Sierra Nevada Conservancy (SNC) Governing Board will meet Thursday, March 7 to consider approval of $5.2 million in Proposition 84 grant awards to assist 29 Sierra ranchers and farmers in 18 counties with conservation measures designed to protect California’s most important watersheds. There are five Lassen County listings:
• Upper Pete’s Creek Habitat Restoration Project, $198,225 (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Nevada Fish and Wildlife Office; Ted Koch, call (775) 861-6311 or email firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Ash Valley Ranch Native Grassland Restoration, $350,000 (Lassen County Fire Safe Council, Inc; Thomas Esgate, call 310-0146 or email email@example.com),
• Butte Creek Meadow Restoration Project, $294,817 (Pit Resource Conservation District; Sharmie Stevenson, call 399-3405 or email firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Rush creek Improvement Project, $207,164 (Bureau of Land Management, Eagle Lake field office; Valda Lockie, call 252-5325 or email email@example.com)
• Pyle Ranch Conservation Easement, $35,000 (Lassen Land and Trails Trust; Louise Jensen, call 257-3252 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
The SNC will issue a news release from the board meeting Thursday afternoon with the final decision by the board.
Projects will result in reduced erosion, meadow and stream restoration, conservation easements, infrastructure development, invasive species removal and pre-project environmental work.
Eligible applicants include public agencies, qualifying nonprofit organizations whose charitable purposes are consistent with the purposes of the SNC and eligible tribal organizations. Where applicants on private land use the funds, Prop. 84 regulations require there must be a demonstrated benefit to the public.
Lassen County provides vast opportunities for summer recreation
A professional wakeboarder performs a wild stunt on Emerson Lake in Susanville during last year’s Rock the Wake. This year the event will take place Saturday, June 22 and will feature more wakeboarders, more crazy stunts and one of the most impressive wakeboarding boats in existence. Lassen...Read More...
Renegades split with walk off win
Hunter Morris slides into second during the Susanville Renegades’ doubleheader against the Galena Silver Sox Saturday, June 8. The Renegades split with Galena, losing the first game, but winning the second. Photo by Maddie Musante June 17 — The Susanville Renegades baseball...Read More...
Major Division Red Sox win Tournament of Champions
The Major Division Red Sox defeated the Yankees Saturday, June 8 to win the Susanville Little League Tournament of Champions. The tournament is Susanville Little League’s end of the season tournament. The championship team and its coaches pose together with their trophies. The team is...Read More...