firstname.lastname@example.orgFeb. 1, 2011 — One day not too long ago, I woke up to the startling realization that I am, in fact, a Lassenite.
Do I have family here? No. Was I raised here? No. Do I have connections into various groups and organizations that I have spent a lifetime building? Other than on the surface as a reporter, not really.
Then how is it I have come to think of myself as a local? Because I believe I have come up with a list of things that only a resident of Lassen County would know. A list of local knowledge that may go hand in hand with my job as a reporter, but a list that I think so many local folk can understand.
So without further adieu, here is a list of what I personally consider common knowledge about the town of Susanville.
1. We love football. Football football, football football football, go Grizzlies, Vikings, Lumberjacks.
2. For as many people who want a pool in the city of Susanville, there are almost just as many who don’t want to spend the money or don’t want the pool outright.
3. If America ever gets invaded, Susanville would be the last town to be taken. It seems like everyone and their mother is armed around here.
4. Susanville City Council meetings always tend to last longer than you can ever anticipate. Multiply that by two if District 2 Supervisor Jim Chapman is allowed to speak. Add an extra 15-30 minutes if he brought his iPad.
5. Everybody knows this town needs a good Greek restaurant. Anyone who thinks otherwise is lying, because this town needs a good Greek restaurant.
6. Jason Wheeler is country. Super duper, ultra country. Nice pickup by Double X country for picking up the most country man in the county, possibly California, maybe the whole … country.
7. I’m sorry about the comments I made about truck owners four years ago in this column. I have since come to realize that if you don’t drive or own a truck, apparently that means you don’t like America. If you don’t like America, then you can get out.
8. For a town of this size, there seems to be a rather large community for the arts. Whether its acting, singing, painting, sculpting, symphony music or even (ahem) stand-up comedy, this place has got it in spades. The only thing more spectacular than the arts community is the effort to keep it alive, which I think everyone should embrace.
9. The law enforcement community here in Susanville and Lassen County is the best around. That being said, thanks for not impounding my car because of my broken headlight, Susanville Police Department. I got it fixed, I swear.
10. Love him or hate him, everyone knows Ben Wade is interesting. I for one can’t wait till he does something newsworthy. It always draws interest from you, the readers.
11. Despite the positives and the negatives, there simply is no community in the country that is as giving to people in need than the community of Lassen County. If someone is in trouble, lost their home, battling disease, you can always bet there is someone out there will to get people together to lend a helping hand.
That’s my list of obvious knowledge for Lassen County locals. I’m sure I’ve left some things out, so if you feel there are any other items of common knowledge or if you feel I missed the point with some of these items, please feel free to e-mail me and let me know your thoughts.
|< Prev||Next >|