Requesting record, replacement medals

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 — Military personnel records can be used for proving military service, or as a valuable tool in genealogical research.

Most veterans and their next of kin can obtain free copies of their DD 214 (Report of Separation) and other military and medical records from the National Personnel Records Center. The Standard Form SF-180 is recommended for requesting all replacement records and medals. Your request must contain certain basic information in order to locate your records.

This information includes the veteran's complete name used while in service, service number, social security number, branch of service, dates of service and date and place of birth (especially if the service number is not known).

The normal response time for DD 214s is 10 working days or less. However, requests that involve reconstruction efforts due to the 1973 fire or older records which require extensive search efforts may take much longer. If there is an emergency or deadline associated with your request, explain this on the SF-180.

For the full Vet 2 Vet and others, read the Tuesday, June 10, 2014 edition of the Lassen County Times.


Visitor's Guide
Sunday, August 30, 2015